The project “The Europeanization of realms of memory and the invention of a common European heritage” was funded by the National Science Centre on the allocation decision DEC-2013/08/M/HS6/00041.
- project leader: Prof. dr hab. Zdzisław Mach (IE UJ)
- leading partner: Prof. Barbara Törnquist-Plewa (CES LU)
The idea to research the Europeanization of memory and the construction of European heritage in Poland and Sweden came about as a result of the participation of Prof. Zdzisław Mach (project leader) and one of his colleagues in the COST network (Action IS 1203, title “In search of transcultural memory in Europe”), whose coordinator was Prof. Barbara Törnquist-Plewa (Lund University, Lund, Sweden) and who fulfilled the role of the leading partner to the project.
The aim of the project was the description and understanding of the Europeanization of memory and the construction of European heritage which stems from the Swedish and Polish context on the national, regional and local level.
The subjects of research were:
- State, EU and other European initiatives connected with a common European heritage;
- European places of drama (lieux de drame) and
- the operations of museums with regards the attempts to uncover a united Europe in the vision of a romantic and pre-industrial Europe (looking at the aesthetic vision of the European past depicted in the open air museums of Poland and Sweden).